Article Text

PDF

Endoscopy II
Achieving a pathological diagnosis in biliary tract cancer
  1. S Bannoo *1,
  2. M H Chapman1,2,
  3. N S Sandanayake1,2,
  4. G J Webster1,
  5. G Johnson1,2,
  6. S OldeDamink1,2,
  7. M Malago1,2,
  8. S P Pereira1,2
  1. 1Division of Gastrointestinal Services, University College Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
  2. 2UCL Institute of Hepatology, London, UK

Abstract

Introduction Diagnosing BTC is challenging because of a lack of reliable tumour markers and radiological similarities with benign hepatobiliary disease. Current guidelines advise confirmatory histology and/or cytology should be sought for the diagnosis of biliary tract cancer (BTC) (Khan et al, Gut 2002;51(Suppl VI)). However, tissue sampling for pathological diagnosis is hampered by tumour site and morphology limiting access to diagnostic tissue, with success rates of only 60–70% (Connor S et al, 2005;9:476; Witzigmann et al, 2006;244:230).

Methods All patients (n=256) with a final clinical diagnosis of BTC (229 cholangiocarcinoma, 27 gallbladder cancer) between January 2003 and September 2010 were included (135M, 121F; mean age 70 years, range 23–107 years). All cytology and tissue biopsy data, including number and technique, for each patient were recorded.

Results 59/256 patients (23%) were referred with a tissue diagnosis. Of the 197/256 patients (77%) without a prior tissue diagnosis, 196 had attempted tissue sampling (median 1 procedure, range 1–6) at our hospital. Out of a total of 341 tissue samples, 127 were taken for biliary cytology and 54 for other cytology (pleural and ascitic fluid n=38; endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration (FNA) n=15; bile n=1), of which 43/127 (34%) and 11/54 (20%), respectively, were positive for cancer. 124 percutaneous and 36 endobiliary biopsies were taken, of which 70% and 44% respectively, were positive. 45 (13%) samples were reported as suspicious for malignancy and a further 15 (4%) had suboptimal specimens unsuitable for pathological diagnosis; all were classified negative for malignancy. Overall, 161/197 (82%) had a pathological confirmation of cancer at our hospital, giving a total positivity rate of 220/256 (86%). A clinical diagnosis of BTC, based on multidisciplinary review and evidence of disease progression, was made in the remaining 36 (14%) patients.

Conclusion A pathological diagnosis of BTC can be achieved in 86% of patients, exceeding previous best published data. The sensitivity of biliary cytology in routine clinical practice is low, but a pathological diagnosis can be obtained with a combination of other endoscopic and percutaneous approaches, allowing alternative diagnoses to be excluded and appropriate treatment given.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Footnotes

  • Competing interests None.

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.